Monday, February 25, 2008

How do you answer, "What do you do?"

Since like a lot of people, I want to be all things to all people (a big no-no). I've always dreaded those four little words. With so many possibilities, it was also tough to break it down into what Laura Allen calls a 15 Second Pitch.

The other day I came across an article by Certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach, Avi Frier with those four little words, What do you do? For some reason, his logic resonated with me and really gave me some clarity.
Answering I am a doctor, lawyer or Indian chief, is not what you were asked. You're not telling people what you do!

I realized this is a great way to make yourself focus on what you provide. It gives you the opportunity to more clearly target different audiences, skills and services you want to offer. And, once you determine how you want to reply to "what do you do" or develop your elevator pitch...you'll have the answer for both.

Plus, as I mentioned in Is your business card's back side naked?, once you have your statement
defined, you can include it on the back of your cards, making different cards for different potential clients. It will reinforce your initial conversation and ideally, make you stand apart from your peers.

I hope you find this Resourceful. Inspired. Affordable. Personal.

Warmly,
Andi

http://www.ThePerfectPresent.net
Branding Merchandise & Marketing Concepts...with a twist!
Personalized Consulting Packages and Merchandise Quotes
http://ResourcefulInspiredAffordable.blogspot.com


No comments: